Author Topic: OSC to Max  (Read 4212 times)

dfodel

• View Profile
OSC to Max
« on: May 08, 2013, 06:03:53 PM »
Hi there,
It seems the included Max patch (in the examples) is not really mapped correctly (as per the documentation here: http://opentsps.com/docs/tsps-osc-protocol )

The way it is configured in the Max patch does not seem to be correct, so I made a new one. This has the mappings for the first 21 parameters, but does not have "contours" as individual outlets (because I am not using them for my project).

Maybe I am missing something in the docs or patch, but I am including my patch here for others to use.

robotconscience

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: OSC to Max
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 01:22:10 PM »
Fantastic! It's been a long time since that patch was updated, appreciate you taking the time to match the new spec!

dfodel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 02:05:02 PM »
hey there... it was not a huge deal to update the patch, and it was necessary for my project too... so i wanted to share. least i can do to support the effort here.

one thing: i notice that the incoming OSC data gives me the exact same values for PID as it does for OID... and that does not seem right.

all ese seems fine though... is there something known about how the OSC implementation is configured that would give these results? the patch is pretty simple so it does not seem likely the error is there... but perhaps i have overlooked something.

robotconscience

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 02:08:41 PM »
hm, that should only be true at first. the ordered ID should always go from 0 -> # of people, whereas the unique ID should always be incrementing. I'm opening up an issue on Github to check and make sure that it's not a bug. Good find!

merter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 12:37:53 PM »
Hi there,

At school we're trying to make a small installation which it is gonna be a 360 degrees panorama. We're using the Kinect to get data in Max MSP so we can interact with our projection. Only the place where the installation is gonna be is to small. So we decided to place the Kinect above the installation. And we understand that openTSPS can track also above the user. So we found the patch of dfodel (great patch, i think) and we tried to get the tracking data. But nothing changes in the patch. Only the print of the TSPS/personUpdated/...and then a lot of numbers.

What do we need to do to get data inside Max so we can track above the installation?

We hope you guys and girls can help us with this one.

grtz,

Merter and the rest

robotconscience

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 12:42:39 PM »
Hm, are you using the updated Max patch that's posted here?
Can you post a screenshot of TSPS? I can't speak much to the Max part, but perhaps there's something that needs to be changed in the TSPS settings.

I've used Kinect from above a lot, it works great! Keep in mind that the distance range is around 3-12 feet... So if it's really high you might not see anybody! In my experience, though, it's awesome for seeing people from their shoulders and up.

dfodel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 01:04:42 PM »
It might be that you need the "slicelist" object from Jasch: http://www.maxobjects.com/?v=objects&id_objet=794&PHPSESSID=4d587320580654eb86cb2252a06712e7

It does most of the work directing the individual values after the /TSPS/PersonEntered etc.

One question... why a Kinect? Why not just use a regular webcam since you are not seeming to really use the depth data? If all you are doing is tracking peopole from overhead you could use the X/Y position data from a regular webcam right?

have fun!

robotconscience

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 09:44:09 AM »
Quick note: the Kinect from above is actually a pretty great approach, as it makes the tracking lighting independent! That said, the part that's tough is that, because of the limited distance range, you can't cover nearly as much area as with a web camera.

If you need large area + lighting independent (somewhat, anyways), an IR camera plus some IR floodlights is the way to go. That's how we did this project (with the very earliest version of TSPS): http://www.rockwellgroup.com/projects/entry/hall-of-fragments